Sunday, December 6, 2009

Attic cleanup & wiring day

So I'm covered in soot. Or something black and dusty and awful.

I went to have some breakfast at the corner market in my work pants, because I was lazy. I think they thought I was some kind of insane vagrant. For the record, breakfast was a delicious piece of vegetable-packed strata. (Stratum?)

Today I'm hoping to finish cleanup in the attic. Yesterday I moved the bricks Andrew dismantled to the back patio and cleaned up. I'd also like to fish some wire in the front of the house, in preparation for the spray foam.

The list of what has to be done before the spray is as follows:
  • Roof penetration for water heater B-vent, securing this vent in place. This will probably require fully plumbing it to the heater before the foam is sprayed, to make things easier for myself
  • Replacement of knob and tube at the house perimeter from the attic, so that it can be covered by spray. So far this includes a duplex switch at the front of the house, the exterior light, and an outlet at the front. I'm also considering adding a light to the back porch, but it could be wired from elsewhere easily enough (or I could just drop some wire through that wall and leave it for when I'm ready)
  • Removal of the lead vent in the corner of the house
  • Final cleanup in the attic. I want to blow a bunch of air through there for a couple days while I still have gable vents to get as much of the nasty particulate out as I can. Ancient coal dust, or something
Time to quit dawdling and get down to business. Which unfortunately will probably involve lots of washing filters, because this fine dust clogs all my filters in about 10 minutes of vacuuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment