Sunday, December 6, 2009

Damn lead vent pipes

So I have this lead vent pipe in the corner of my house that I'm removing, since I can replace it with an AAV and not have to have another hole in my brand new roof. I was hoping it'd be possible to cut it at the basement level and pull it all the way up through the house, but it seems like that's not going to be possible.


I actually climbed up on the roof just now to check. The roofers had tried to pull it up and told me it felt like it was trapped by a coupling, and now that I've had a chance to yank on it, I feel the same way. So I have to cut it in the attic, but the clearance is terrible: it's right up against a rafter at the very corner of the attic.

I charged my old Olympus camera too, since it's waterproof and smashproof etc. so I can take more pictures. So far I have been taking pictures with my iPhone, which I don't touch when my hands are really nasty, or carry in my pocket when I might sit on it, which is pretty much all the time at this point.

Anyway, the pipe was finally cut after some wrestling with a compact hacksaw, a hammer and a chisel. In the end I just motored through with the reciprocating saw; I think my blade is curved enough that it just bounced off the rafter...


No comments:

Post a Comment